Farm Asset Builder Program
The Farm Asset Builder Program begins its fourth year in 2017! Farmer participants will make a plan to save a portion of their earned income over the course of one year. While there is no minimum savings amount required, the maximum amount of savings that will be matched is $2,000. 2017 program participants will work with Learning Center staff and our partners on improving their financial and business planning skills. At the same time, participants will be able to save up to $175 each month. AOLC will provide a minimum 1:1 match for all participants.
A new partnership with the Department of Health & Human Services will allow us to provide income-eligible farmers with an even greater match of 2:1. Through an Assets For Independence (AFI) grant from the Administration for Children & Families, applicants who qualify for the additional match funds through AFI will receive a $2 match for every $1 saved. This is the the first year of a five-year AFI grant, and we look forward to being able to provide this additional opportunity for those farmers who need it most. An additional grant from the Oberweiler Foundation will allow Farm Asset Builder staff to continue outreach efforts to military veterans entering the field of sustainable agriculture.
This program is intended for beginning farmers that could benefit and have a need for:
- Financial management support (technical assistance)
- Financial support (capital)
See if you qualify for the Farm Asset Builder program by answering a few questions, take our eligibility quiz.
The Learning Center welcomes applications from farmers that:
- Farm in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, or southwestern Michigan
- Have been producing and selling farm product for at least one year
- Are Upper Midwest CRAFT members or Stateline Farm Beginnings graduates
- Demonstrate gross farm revenue of at least $15,000 for the previous fiscal year
- Plan to expand their farm businesses and earn most of their income from farming
- We also encourage military veterans to apply