Sign up for News & Updates

Farm Asset Builder (FAB)

The 2019 Farm Asset Builder application period is closed. If you'd like to be added to our 2020 program interest list, please email us! 

Farm Asset Builder is an Individual Development Account (IDA) matched savings program that strengthens farm businesses through asset acquisition and technical assistance. Farmer participants work with Angelic Organics Learning Center staff and partners to improve their financial and business planning skills. Participants also develop a plan to save a portion of their earned farm income over the course of one year. While there is no minimum, the maximum amount of savings that will be matched is $2,000. The Department of Health & Human Services offers income-eligible farmers the opportunity to earn even more money through an Assets For Independence (AFI) grant from the Administration for Children & Families. Applicants who qualify for AFI funds will receive an additional $2 match for every $1 saved!

What to Expect

Over the course of one-year participants in this program will be required to:

  • Complete a balance sheet and cash flow projections (~3hrs total)
  • Track actual cash flow numbers (~1hr per month)
  • Develop or update a business plan (~1-3 hrs total)
  • Meet with a lender for feedback and advice (~1 hr total)
  • Deposit monthly savings into an AOLC maintained bank account
  • Complete regular check-ins (~10-12 hrs total)
  • Attend one farm finance educational workshop (~4hrs total)

Program Eligibility

Angelic Organics Learning Center welcomes applications from farmers that:

  • Farm in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, or the Chicagoland area
  • Own a for-profit, independent farm business that has been producing and selling product for at least two years
  • Are an Upper Midwest CRAFT member or Stateline Farm Beginnings graduate
  • Demonstrate gross farm revenue of at least $15,000 for the previous fiscal year
  • Plan to expand their farm business and earn a significant income from farming
  • We encourage military veterans to apply!

Strong Candidates will possess:

  • A need for financial support and desire to grow their farm operations
  • A need for additional financial management coaching
  • A strong connection with the local farming community and a desire to give back
  • Potential to complete the program and capacity to save $2,000
  • Ability/motivation to share and improve record-keeping practices, maintain communication with our staff, and complete/update a business plan with three years of financial projections

Take Our Eligibility Quiz!

Learn More!



This material is based upon work that is supported by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, under award number 2016-70017-25373. 
A grant from Assets for Independence (AFI), a program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, funds approximately 7% percent ($18,824) of costs for this program. The remaining 93% ($275,000) is funded through other Federal and non-Federal sources. 
Visit the AFI Resource Center website to learn more about the program and about helping families to build assets:

Additional Partners and Funders: