Sign up for News & Updates

Thalia's New Kid!

By Nellie Conover-Crockett, Age 11, Livestock crew

I was at home with my mom when we were called by Suzanne at about 2:30 in the afternoon.  She told us that one of the goats, Thalia, had some mucus and looked like she would have her baby soon.  We hurried out to the farm to find Thalia pacing and panting.  We decided to stay with her for a while. 

It seemed like it was taking a LONG time. 

It was.  At around 7 o’clock, we decided to call Tresea, a neighbor who had goats, because we were worried that Thalia’s labor was taking too long.  She brought one of her goat kids, named Buck.  Tresea said that she thought Thalia would give birth sometime in the night, but not to be too worried, as she wasn’t at the pushing stage yet.  We stayed in the barn with until about 10 o’clock. 

My mom asked me if I wanted to go home.  I said “No!”  Tresea and Buck left, but my mom and I decided to stay until she had her babies.  I went to sleep at about 10:30 on the concrete floor of the workshop space, and my mom got up every 45 minutes to check on Thalia. 

My mom came and woke me up at about 3:45 AM.  Thalia was pushing, and we could see the hooves.  At about 4:30, she gave birth to a white buck, who was soon to be named “Zinger.”  We decided to wait to see if Thalia had more babies.  She didn’t.  At 8:15, we decided to go home because Bertha was there to watch her, and we were very sleepy. 

After we’d been home for a little while, and it was 11:30, Candie called us.  She told us that Thalia was still pushing, and nothing was happening.  They saw two hooves.  They called the vet because they were very worried about Thalia and her kids that weren’t born yet.  We went back to the farm to help out.  I held Zinger while my mom worked with Thalia.  At about 12:30 the vet came.  He quickly got the baby we saw out, as well as another one.  Sadly, they were both stillborn.  We had to give Thalia medicine to get the placenta out and protect her from an infection.  For a while, she was lying there limp, but she was very happy to have Zinger with her. 

It was very sad, but in the long run, I’m glad that we were there so that Zinger was born safely, and that he and his mother are together.  I think that farming causes both a lot of grief and a lot of joy.  Some days they are mixed up together, just like today.  

Thalia and Baby Zinger